I have a head cold and my nose is smelly. Should I be concerned about a possible sinus infection? It happens when i'm not sick sometimes too.

Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: Be seen

That is not unusual during an infection, but if it continues after your infection is cleared, then it should be investigated.
You might need a ct scan of the sinuses to look for a polyp or even a tumor. This presumes that you do not have a foreign body in your nose, as that is a common cause of foul smelling nasal discharge.

In brief: Be seen

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Odor from nose

Infections in this area can block secretory flow from nasal cavities leading to stagnation and the overgrowth of bacteria which have side products that smell badly.
You can try nasal decongestants, especially sprays or a netty irrigation. If there is local pain, bleeding or frank pus, you should see your personal physician or an ENT doctor.

In brief: Odor from nose

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Vicken Poochikian