Have been prescribed levoquin. I'm 64. How likely is a tendon rupture? Can I continue to work out? What precautions?

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Levaquin (levofloxacin)

Apparently hundreds of cases of tendon rupture with Levaquin (levofloxacin) have been reported to fda.
Not sure if Levaquin (levofloxacin) causes it. And it's really not that common. The risk is higher if you are over 60 years of age or taking steroids. Older adults are also at higher risk for tendinitis, peripheral neuropathy and heart problems (qt prolongation/torsades de pointes). But these side effects are not that common.

In brief: Levaquin (levofloxacin)

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Unlikely

This is an uncommon complication of therapy with fluorinated quinolones like levoquin.
But it is not predictable. The better question is do you really need antibiotics, and if so and you are concerned about levofloxacin, are there alternatives.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine