I have a friend that has stage three breast cancer in both breast and it has spread to the liver. What is her survival rate?

In brief: Depends
Stage 3 means armpit lymph node in involvement.
Spread to other organs means stage 4. Treatment options vary. Best option is for her to have a review by a good oncologist for possible treatment options.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Lee Pederson
Dr. Lee Pederson
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Survival?
I want you to think about my answer-because it is the best.
Metastatic breast cancer at this moment is not curable. But often can be "controllable" for sometimes long periods of time--years+. Current treatments are improving. The quality of time has alot to do with mindset of the pt. Enjoying every day, trying alternative treatments-along with trad tx. Being loved-support helps alot.

In brief: Survival?
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Everyone's different
Survival rates are most appropriately applied to large groups of patients; it's impossible to give such a number for one person, especially without knowing her own unique situation.
As a generalization, we usually talk about "remission" rather than "cure" when cancer has spread to the liver (stage 4, by definition) since it is very difficult to completely eradicate cancer in that setting.

In brief: Everyone's different
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology
In brief: Guarded
Spreding to the liver is obviously a more aggressive disease.
However, the prognosis will vary based on: do the cancer cells express her2 & hormonal receptors; if the cancer was already in the liver on presentation or spread to it while on treatment; can the tumors be surgically excised, etc. You need to have a detailed discussion with your cancer doctor.

In brief: Guarded
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery