Dr switched me back to 40mg simvastatin after taking 20mg lipitor (atorvastatin). Should I get off the Lipitor (atorvastatin) for a few days before starting simvastatin?

Dr. Harris Cohen

In brief: Not necessary

Simvastatin 40mg is similar in potency to 20mg of lipitor (atorvastatin).
There is no need to stop Lipitor (atorvastatin) for a few days before starting Simvastatin as they are similar drugs (both are statins). The Simvastatin can be started the day after stopping the Lipitor (atorvastatin) -- for most efficacy, take a statin at bedtime.

In brief: Not necessary

Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
Ed -- go ahead and start the simvastatin the very next day -- it is like switching from Advil to Motrin -- no need to wait!
Dr. Luis Villaplana

Very smart good question.
It depends how long you've been on lipitor (atorvastatin). 4-6 weeks should be ample time between them.

Very smart good question.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology