I'm a 5'7" 158 pound, 21 year old female. I'm looking to lose 10 pounds with healthy eating & exercise. How many calories should I take in a day?

Dr. Jeremy Proctor
In brief: 500/day less
There are about 3500 calories in one pound, so to lose 10 pounds, you will need to burn about 35, 000 more calories than you take in (through eating fewer calories each day and burning more through exercise).
If you did no exercise and ate 500 cal per day less than usual you would lose about 1 pound per week/10 lbs in 10 weeks. Daily exercise will burn more calories and shorten your time to goal.

In brief: 500/day less
Dr. Jeremy Proctor
Dr. Jeremy Proctor
2 comments
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
One slice of bread is 50 Calories.
Dr. Seema Patel
Decrease the carbs and empty calories; eat nutrient rich foods like plants that are not calorie dense. Eat small frequent meals and drink alot of water. Sometimes you eat b/c you are actually thirsty
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine