I have had a few people that are pregnant tell me their doctors recommend smoking due to possible miscarriage. Is this true?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NO

I did obstetrics for 10+ years and i know my ob-gyn colleagues would agree: smoking is never recommended in pregancy! smoking causes multiple problems including low birth weight, poor fetal growth (iugr) and worse outcomes.

In brief: NO

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine

In brief: News to me

I would never advise a pregnant mom to continue smoking but i might advise her to use some nicotine replacement rather than go through any unnecessary withdrawal.
If nicotine withdrawal is associated with miscarriages that is news to me but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me.

In brief: News to me

Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. Peter Kurzweil