I have an chiari malformation type 1. What symptoms would I have if I am not circulating enough csf? I have a MRI in two weeks to see.

Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery

In brief: Shoulder area numb

The lack of CSF flow around the chiari area is thought to raise the risk for a fluid collection inside the cervical spine called a syrinx.
This can cause arm/hand symptoms with some numbness in a shawl pattern across the shoulder area. An MRI through your cervical spine should show this fluid collection if it is there. It can be followed after the chiari is decompressed usually resolving by itself.

In brief: Shoulder area numb

Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz

In brief: Headaches

The most common effect would be headaches.
You may also experience dizziness or a sense of imbalance.

In brief: Headaches

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. Eric Weisman