Fish oil sups not regulated by fda. Are they still safe? Ever encounter adverse affect due to mercury or an impurity causing illness in any patients?

Dr. Victor Kopyev

In brief: Fish oil

Never seen any major problem.Look for a reliable brand.

In brief: Fish oil

3 comments
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
"reliable brand" is the key; also, use enteric-coated form to help prevent "fish burp", the fishy aftertaste that may occur for hours after taking the fish oil
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
I like Nordic Naturals as they have worked well with my patients.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Supplements

The fda is forbidden by the dhsea act to pass upon the quality of supplements.
This includes fish and other oils. Look for a reliable brand but that is not a complete guarantee. Until congress changes this law, we are stuck with unregulated products of uncertain concentration, unknown quality and no ability to detect impurities or toxins.

In brief: Supplements

Dr. Victor Kopyev
There is a FDA apptoved product Lovaza with the price tag of $190.99 for a month supply. I am not sure about mercury content in that product. The same factory makes products for certain nutritional supplement companies as well. I strongly suspect that line separates at the labeling phase
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine