I am getting over a cold. When I blow my nose my left ear pops and I get sudden vertigo. What should I do?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Stop blowing

Not a good idea to blow your nose if you are getting vertigo (the sensation of motion).
It could mean a small potential leak or irritation involving the connection between the middle ear and the inner ear. Wipe or sniff but hold off on blowing. If the vertigo lasts get to an ENT doctor right away.

In brief: Stop blowing

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Eustachian tube

When you are blowing your nose you are forcing air into the eustachian tube which connects your nasal passages to your middle ear. Antihistamines (zyrtec, allegra, benadryl, (diphenhydramine) etc) can help keep that tube open, but often this takes time for the inflammation to settle down.
If it is really bothering you, see your doctor and see if a steroid nose spray would be beneficial.

In brief: Eustachian tube

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NOTHING or OTC med

You probably have 'eustacian tube dysfunction.
' this happens when you have inflammation of nose and throat from a viral upper respiratory infection, 'a cold'. The swelling blocks entrance to 'the tube that runs from your throat to inner ear' .The inner ear controls balance hence vertigo is associated. Decongestatnts may help or just waiting.

In brief: NOTHING or OTC med

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine