I just found out that I have hpv. How do I get rid of it?

Nicole Bressler
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Cannot Get Rid of It

There are no medications to get rid of of hpv.
Non smokers with helathy immune systems tend to clear the infection over 6-9 months without treatment. Although most will clear on its own, hpv is a virus that has been shown to cause cervical, penile, anal and head/neck cancers. If you are a female, be sure to get yearly checkups with your gynecologist. If you are a male, use condoms.

In brief: Cannot Get Rid of It

Nicole Bressler
Nicole Bressler
Answer assisted by Nicole Bressler, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great Answer! Wishing you'all the best
To clarify: the primary infection clears, but the germ hangs around and may over years or decades trigger cancer.Knowing you have had it just provides you motivation to do your paps & pay attention.
Dr. Lisa Oldson

In brief: Time +/- treatment

Often hpv will resolve itself w/ time.
If you have genital warts, they can be treated (frozen, Aldara (imiquimod) cream, acid, etc) by your doc. If hpv on cervix, see gyne. Be sure to notify your partner(s) & use condoms, but remember its spread through direct contact so if condoms don't cover the area, abstain until resoved. Consider the hpv vaccine. Its not too late to protect against other strains of hpv.

In brief: Time +/- treatment

Often hpv will resolve itself w/ time.
Dr. Lisa Oldson
Dr. Lisa Oldson
Dr. Adam Levy