My 20 yr old daughter has high cholesterol 270. Eats healthy, skinny, extremely active. I know heredity plays a part.What to do?

Dr. Michael Jones

In brief: Medication

While i'm a minimalist with respect to medications we have to be realistic.
In a person who has few or none of the typical environmental risk factors (obesity, sedentary, poor diet etc) we have to assume a strong genetic propensity for dyslipidemia. In these cases, based on what we know now, this should be treated with medication to help avoid cardiovascular risks over time.

In brief: Medication

Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Michael Jones
2 comments
Dr. Yash Khanna
I will liketo know her complete lipid profile,which includes Total Cholesterol,LDL,HDL,Triglysterides,before deciding whether she needs to go on medications to bring it down
Dr. Yash Khanna
And if i may add Thyroid Profile as well
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Get a full panel 1st

First get a lipid panel that shows the ldl-c (bad cholesterol), hdl-c (good-c) and the triglycerides (tg=little fats).
The "total" is just the good+bad+1/5 of the fats, so it's a useless number. For example, if your daughter has: ldl = 210, HDL = 40, tg = 100 that is a very bad total of 270. On the other hand: ldl = 140, HDL = 110, tg = 100 is a super healthy total of 270. Hope that helps.

In brief: Get a full panel 1st

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology