Why do I get hiccups after eating carrots? Usually anytime I eat raw carrots

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: DON'T know

Hiccups are the uncontrolled contractions of the diaphragm muscle (which controls breathing).
This fetal reflex is thought to get the 'new born ready to breath' before birth. In you, raw carrots happen to be a trigger. It is probably the texture of the food impacting the esophagus (food pipe). I guess you have to eat them cooked.

In brief: DON'T know

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Charles Cattano
Of course, you can still eat raw carrots. Just know that in so doing you are causing yourself no harm.
Dr. Kenneth Mirkin
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Volume

This large volume of fiber in the lower esophagus can stimulate the diaphragm which leads to hiccups.

In brief: Volume

Dr. Kenneth Mirkin
Dr. Kenneth Mirkin
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology