My father was diagnosed with essential thrombositosis his platlets are 1.2 million. He had bone marrow biopsie and doc said he needs no treatment.Tru?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Consider aspirin

Even if you are not recommended to take medication to decrease the platelet count, it may be advisable to talk to your doctor about using aspirin.
Aspirin inhibits the clotting potential of platelets and can reduce the risk of abnormal blood clots. Certain patients should avoid Aspirin if they have stomach ulcer problems.

In brief: Consider aspirin

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Thrombocytosis

Essential thromboscytosis is generally not a problem until the platelet counts go over 1, 000, 000.
At this level you can get neurological and other symptoms from sluggish circulation. With the patients in my recent practice, the hematologist did recommend treatment with hydroxyurea, which did lower the count back to normal (< 450, 000).

In brief: Thrombocytosis

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Arnon Rubin