My TSH level was 5.82 when I went to doc and I was put on Synthroid (thyroxine) 50 mcg. Is this the correct dosage? My TSH is now 3.41 is that normal? T3t4 r norm

Dr. Michael Jones

In brief: Kind of...

There remains some debate about what "normal" really is for the tsh.
Years ago the "normal" was somewhere between 0.5 and 5.5. I don't think anyone thinks 5 normal now. Most labs have brought the top end to about 4.5. I now use 3.5 as top end of normal but if i already have someone on meds i'll try to get them somewhere between 1 and 2ish, especially if they continue to have "thyroid" symptoms.

In brief: Kind of...

Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Tsh hypothyroidism

Normal TSH is 0.45-4.
5 (we like it somewhere in the middle if possible). The higher the tsh, the lower the thyroid gland, so we increase dose of synthroid (thyroxine) if TSH is high (and vice versa). The most important thing is how is the patient is doing, TSH helps us guide treatment and dose. There are exceptions to the rule.

In brief: Tsh hypothyroidism

Normal TSH is 0.45-4.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Ok for now

Looks like your TSH is coming down in the right direction and depending on the cause of your slightly elevated TSH pre treatment, you may need more or less doseage of synthroid (thyroxine) in the near future (keep in mind that excess weight/bmi can also influence tsh).

In brief: Ok for now

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Victor Kopyev

In brief: Thyroid

You really have to achieve the optimal results with your thyroid supplementation to feel completely well and eliminate the negative consequences of suboptimal thyroid compensation.
Tsh should be suppressed and free T3 (liothyronine) - top normal.

In brief: Thyroid

Dr. Victor Kopyev
Dr. Victor Kopyev
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NO

In spokane, i work with nationally known endocrinologist, dr. Ken cathcart and he recommends goal tsh=1.
0 , so you are above that and may need a dosage increase. However the lab tests need to run 6-12 weeks after a dosage change and provided you are not skipping any doses. Hope it helps.

In brief: NO

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Adam Smith