How do I know if I just have a head cold with a cough and not walking pneumonia? I don't have a fever. I have a slight sore throat.

Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Chest x-ray...
The only way to diagnose so-called "walking pneumonia" is with a chest x-ray.
Symptoms are usually milder and so patients can walk around with it unaware that's what they have. It is usually due to a viral etiology so antibiotics are often not needed or even helpful.

In brief: Chest x-ray...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Your doctor will listen to your chest for abnormal breath sounds. Rales, that sound like Rice Crispies - really - indicate fluid in the lungs' air sacs, a sign of pneumonia. If that is heard a chest X-ray will usually be ordered.
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Walking pneumonia
The term "walking" pneumonia applies to a chest infection that is serious but does not make you feel bad enough to stay in bed.
It is somewhat difficult to diagnose- -usually when someone has had cough symptoms for over a week and sees a doctor for a chest xray. I assume your symptoms reflect a common cold/sore throat for the first week. After that, get it checked. No harm in waiting unless fever.

In brief: Walking pneumonia
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine