My 9 yr.Old daughter has chest pain and difficulty breathing periodicaly, what could be the cause of this?

Christopher Breen
General Practice
In brief: Asthma?
The most common cause of chest pain and difficulty breathing in a child is asthma.
It is especially likely that is is asthma if there are triggers like exercise, cold, and allergens. It is also possible that there is a musculoskeletal issue. If the ribs are not moving freely with the diaphragm it can also cause these symptoms. Both can be treated easily by inhalers or manipulation respectively.

In brief: Asthma?
Christopher Breen
Christopher Breen
Answer assisted by Christopher Breen, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Brian Novick
If she hasnt seen her doctor recently it would be a good idea to do so, so she can have a complete examination.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Another cause could be a congenital heart defect like atrial septal defect. I agree with Dr. Novick it's time for your daughter to see her pediatrician.
Dr. Tanya Russo
In brief: If she has symptoms
of asthma such as chronic Or recurrent cough (especially at night), wheezing, shortness or breath or exercise intolerance and a family history of asthma, is would be especially important to be evaluated ! Another consideration would be costochondritis, which is inflammation of the connective tissue in the rib cage ( very painful but not dangerous).

In brief: If she has symptoms
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Pamela Moore
In brief: Maybe asthma
The symptoms you describe could be asthma or something more serious.
I would recommend that you see her doctor for evaluation as soon as possible.

In brief: Maybe asthma
Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Steven Seres