My 16 year old son is diagnosed with congenital heartdisease, sec asd l r mild pam. He is, otherwise, very normal and active. Please suggest further treatment.

Dr. Matthias Peuster
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Depends
If the right ventricle is enlarged it should be closed.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. Matthias Peuster
Dr. John Stork
Anesthesiology
In brief: Needs Eval...
A little cryptic, but means a secundum atrial septal defect, with left to right shunt.
That is a hole between the atria of the heart, leading to overwork of the heart if the hole is large. Also a slight risk of embolic stroke. At the least needs to be followed by a cardiologist; if the heart chambers are enlarging, the hole may need to be closed, either in the cath lab or with surgery.

In brief: Needs Eval...
Dr. John Stork
Dr. John Stork
David Miller
In brief: Pediatric cardiology
I suspect that if he hasn't had any problems up to this point that this may just be an incidental finding.
However, your son needs to be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist. They are experts on congenital heart problems and will ultimately have the final say on a question like this.

In brief: Pediatric cardiology
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Depends
I apologize as I am unsure what pam means, but your child may require a procedure to close the asd.
This depends on the asds size and amount of flow to the lungs. Please discuss this with your child's cardiologist. In general, a cath or surgery to close an ASD are both very safe and effective.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Robert Pearson-Martinez
I suspect you meant to put mild PAH? Generally, in that setting, I would consider a cath evaluation for a possible device closure. If the cath does not identify a contraindication to closure, then I would close it.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey