After not smoking for several days, why do my lungs hurt badly?

Dr. Michael Mirochna

In brief: Breathing real air

Congratulations on doing the most important thing that smokers can do for their health! you stopped smoking! i do not hear this complaint often.
It might be due to an infection that happened after you quit smoking. If you have a fever or productive cough or wheeze, see your doctor. If not, i'd attribute it to your body's need for the nicotine. I'd also think about nicotine replacement to help.

In brief: Breathing real air

Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Many possibilities

Hard to say for sure but the lungs often start to produce a lot of phlegm because the cilia cells are no longer paralyzed from the tobacco products.
..So one can get a mild bronchitis. Standard care for bronchitis might help. It'll likely get better soon. Drink plenty of fluids. Good job and keep at it!

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology