I was 5 days late for my period. I got it this morning and it's been bright red and very clotty and soaking through tampons every hour. What's wrong?

David Miller
In brief: See your doc
Bright red blood and clots from your vagina, especially much heavier than normal, needs to be evaluated right away.
An er visit would be a good idea.

In brief: See your doc
An er visit would be a good idea.
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. John Edwards
In brief: Possible misscarage
As above, but if it was, its so early that you will not need a d&c, however, you should see a gyn doc.

In brief: Possible misscarage
Dr. John Edwards
Dr. John Edwards
Dr. Tod Aeby
In brief: Are you pregnant?
The flow you are describing would not be considered normal, and needs treatment.
Any time you are late for your period, you have to make sure you are not pregnant. The bleeding you describe could be an early miscarriage. If a pregnancy test is negative, you probably have a hormonal disturbance that will require medicine to correct. You should see a women's healthcare provider, right away.

In brief: Are you pregnant?
Dr. Tod Aeby
Dr. Tod Aeby
Dr. Jane Van Dis