I was 5 days late for my period. I got it this morning and it's been bright red and very clotty and soaking through tampons every hour. What's wrong?

David Miller

In brief: See your doc

Bright red blood and clots from your vagina, especially much heavier than normal, needs to be evaluated right away.
An er visit would be a good idea.

In brief: See your doc

An er visit would be a good idea.
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. John Edwards

In brief: Possible misscarage

As above, but if it was, its so early that you will not need a d&c, however, you should see a gyn doc.

In brief: Possible misscarage

Dr. John Edwards
Dr. John Edwards
Dr. Tod Aeby

In brief: Are you pregnant?

The flow you are describing would not be considered normal, and needs treatment.
Any time you are late for your period, you have to make sure you are not pregnant. The bleeding you describe could be an early miscarriage. If a pregnancy test is negative, you probably have a hormonal disturbance that will require medicine to correct. You should see a women's healthcare provider, right away.

In brief: Are you pregnant?

Dr. Tod Aeby
Dr. Tod Aeby
Dr. Adam Levy