How much does a full body MRI cost without insurance? I want one and we have great insurance just my doc is refusing to give me one unless we pay.

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Mri

Insurance won't pay for a MRI unless there is a reason.
It's not a good idea to do one unless you know what you are looking for. A random MRI might find some "abnormalities" that didn't need to get investigated but now have to because you've found something incidental.

In brief: Mri

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen

In brief: $2k to $4k each time

If a person wants a full body mri, and doesn't have a good medical reason to get one, then he should be happy to pay for it himself (just go to the MRI place and ask for the cash price, which is cheaper than the insurance price).
I'm not sure why anyone would need a full body mri. Also, nobody has a perfect body, so something can show up on anybody's full body mri. Better to get a second opinion!

In brief: $2k to $4k each time

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Random MRI

Just an example of ordering an MRI without a particular reason.
About 20-25% of normal, well-trained, fit people with no pain, no symptoms have herniated disc on the lumbar spine. Doing surgery or giving meds for a normal variant (aka false positive) will be a terrible mistake. A second opinion is your right, but avoid doctor shopping, .

In brief: Random MRI

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Gregory Hines
This is a good example of why healthcare is so expensive. Ordering a full body MRI for no particular reason or symptom is an additional expense of dubious benefit at best, and is more likely to find some incidental finding that ends up being chased for no particular benefit.
David Miller

In brief: Trust your doc

We docs are trained to never order a test without a reason.
If your doc doesn't think you need a full-body MRI then i can think of no good reason to get one.

In brief: Trust your doc

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology

In brief: Too much

Insurance will only pay for procedures where there is an appropriate sign or symptom. "i want one" is not one of them, so if you want one, it will be cash and out of your own wallet.
Having said that, as a radiologist i agree with your doc that whole body MRI fishing expeditions are not recommended.

In brief: Too much

Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Lisa Oldson

In brief: Leslieslist.org

I see you're from la.
In chicago or dallas, we use leslieslist.Org (not .Com) for free price info on meds, tests like mris etc. Created by dr. Leslie ramirez for her patients who can't afford meds/tests or just can't find cost info. You can use the numbers to compare in your area. Its a treasured resource for chicago docs.

In brief: Leslieslist.org

I see you're from la.
Dr. Lisa Oldson
Dr. Lisa Oldson
Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: First do no harm.

In medicine we have a word for findings on radiographs done "just because I want it".
We call these findings of undertermined significance "incidentalomas". This is because and incidentloma by definition is something found on imaging studies in those who are well, but get a scan almost as a form of recreation. Often this results in unnecessary risky procedures that confirm that nothing is wrong.

In brief: First do no harm.

Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Adam Smith