What sort of treatment is chest surgery?

Remove or repair. Most surgical treatments are recommended to patients to either repair, remove or replace a broken body part. For chest body parts, the possiblities of chest surgery treatment are many and include remove a lung, or a lung mass, repair an artery or a heart valve. You can ask your surgeon or doctor for more details about your condition and the details of the recommended chest surgery treatment.
That depends... For broken leg, its not a very good treatment (<-joke), but for early stage lung cancer its the standard of care for patients with sufficient lung and heart health. It is also used to operate on the heart, esophagus, and some vascular conditions in the chest (aortic aneurysm for example). I hope this helps answer your question, but if you could be more specific, we can try again.