Why is my doctor requiring me to have serial ultrasounds?

Dr. Timothy Gorski

In brief: Good question

Yes, your doctor may be monitoring growth if he/she is concerned about your baby being overly large or small, or if *you* are overly large and measurements of your abdomen are felt not to be reliable.
You should ask your doctor why so many ultrasounds are being done. I have seen cases where ultrasounds were being done way more often than needed.

In brief: Good question

Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Richard Godt

In brief: Monitoring growth

I would assume that he is concerned with the growth of the fetus and thus serial ultrasounds will convince him either that the fetus is growing normally or that there is fetal growth retardation.
If the latter, he might advise early delivery.

In brief: Monitoring growth

Dr. Richard Godt
Dr. Richard Godt
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham