What sort of problem is atrial fibrillation?

Irregular. Atrial fibrillation occurs when the atria, which deliver blood to the ventricles, receive an abnormal electrical signal and then beat erratically instead of in a coordinated, strong beat. The danger of atrial fibrillation is that the blood in the atria tends to stay there instead of getting pumped fully into the ventricles. This slow moving blood in the atria can then form blood clots.
Heart rhythm problem. Atrial fibrillation is a disorder of heart rhythm and is caused by abnormal electrical impulses originating around the pulmonary vein that spread to the upper heart chambers (atria). It can cause palpitations, shortness of breath and fatigue. The main risk is formation of blood clots in the heart that can cause stroke or peripheral embolization.
Atrial fibrillation. When the upper chambers (atria) stop contracting due to electrical chaos, the lower chambers (ventricles) beat rapidly and irregularly. A person with af may be unaware, aware, or very bothered. If other risk factors are present, the risk of blood clots and stroke may be increased. Treatment involves rate control, anticoagulation, and restoration of normal rhythm - all individualized for each pt, .