What sort of problem is a tooth cavity?

Tooth decay. A tooth cavity is the result of bacterial action on the surface and core of a tooth. It erodes the enamel and dentum and in severe cases can infect the root and cause significant pain. It is best treated early by your dentist who can restore the tooth and protect it. If the root gets involved, a root canal treatment may necessary.
Infection. Cavities are infections that breakdown the tooth from the outside to inside. Cavities are not usually painful until they progress inward. Avoiding sugary drinks and sticky sweet snacks can help prevent cavity forming bacteria in your child's mouth. Healthy foods including apples pears spinach and asparagus can promote healthy bacteria in your child's mouth. Brushing 2x's a day is important too.
Infection. A cavity is generally caused by a bacterial infection. It leads to erosion and destruction of the tooth. Dental care is necessary !