What sort of problem is a critical injury?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Broad question
A critical injury could be many things.
Life-threatening like a closed head injury or a torn major blood vessel, multiple rib fractures, etc. But a critical injury may not be life threatening, but could threaten a limb or be a major detterent to quality of life - think of a bad hand injury or a spinal cord injury.

In brief: Broad question
A critical injury could be many things.
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Surgery - Trauma
In brief: Life-threatening
Any injury that is life-threatening is what i consider a "critical injury".
I don't know if an exact definition exists. I have served two deployments to afghanistan, and worked many years at one of the busiest trauma centers in america. I dont know how to define critical injuries... But like justice potter stewart wrote in trying to define pornography... "i know it when i see it.".

In brief: Life-threatening
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Life threatening
Any injury that is in any way life threatening is considered a critical injury.

In brief: Life threatening
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti