I sometimes get sad but is that enough to need to take estrogen to prevent postpartum depression?

Sad or depressed? It is unclear if you are having enough symptoms of depression to make it advisable to take measures (whether hormonal or prophylactic medication) to prevent postpartum depression. Getting sad periodically is normal, especially if there is a reason. In order to address this individually, see a mental health professional with expertise in perinatal issues.
Ppd. Sadness by itself is not indicative of major depression. If u r having other vegetative symptoms such as changes in energy/sleep/appetite, u need evaluated by a mental health doctor for further tx recommendations.
Have you considered. A short course of acupuncture? Have found this quite helpful for many of my patients.
No. Postpartum baby blues are common. They last only a few days and can cause crying, etc but should not lead to decreased appetite, etc. Postpartum depression is more serious and lingers. Estrogen is not used to treat postpartum depression. You need to talk to your doctor.