I sometimes get sad but is that enough to need to take estrogen to prevent postpartum depression?

Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Sad or depressed?

It is unclear if you are having enough symptoms of depression to make it advisable to take measures (whether hormonal or prophylactic medication) to prevent postpartum depression.
Getting sad periodically is normal, especially if there is a reason. In order to address this individually, see a mental health professional with expertise in perinatal issues.

In brief: Sad or depressed?

Dr. Susan Feingold
Dr. Susan Feingold
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Ppd

Sadness by itself is not indicative of major depression.
If u r having other vegetative symptoms such as changes in energy/sleep/appetite, u need evaluated by a mental health doctor for further tx recommendations.

In brief: Ppd

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Have you considered

A short course of acupuncture? Have found this quite helpful for many of my patients.

In brief: Have you considered

Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

Postpartum baby blues are common.
They last only a few days and can cause crying, etc but should not lead to decreased appetite, etc. Postpartum depression is more serious and lingers. Estrogen is not used to treat postpartum depression. You need to talk to your doctor.

In brief: No

Postpartum baby blues are common.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jane Van Dis