What sort of disorder is fibromyalgia?

Dr. I. Jon Russell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Pain amplification
Fibromyalgia syndrome [fms] is a chronic illness characterized by widespread body pain and low pain threshold.
The pain results from central nervous system [spinal cord and brain] amplification of stimuli [pressure, heat, cold, etc] to peripheral tissues [skin, muscle, bone] that would not have been perceived as pain by a person without fms. There are many other very troublesome symptoms in fms.

In brief: Pain amplification
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. I. Jon Russell
2 comments
Dr. John Goldman
This is a chronic pain syndrome wiht many faces.
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer. wishing you'all the very best.
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Fibromyalgia
Fm is a common syndrome associated w/widespread pain; may be accompanied by fatigue, sleep disturbances, stiffness, cognitive/ memory problems, anxiety, depression.
To meet criteria for diagnosis: widespread pain in all 4 quadrants of body for >3 months and 11-18 tender points (determined by md). Cause is unknown however research looks to a disorder of central processing and pain amplification.

In brief: Fibromyalgia
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Paul Reynolds
Pain Management
In brief: Good question
There are lots of theories and unfortunately very few solid answers.
Fibromyalgia is a disease resulting in muscle pain, but no defect in the muscles is seen on tests. Some believe it to come about through an over stimulation processing of the central nervous system. Unfortunately, many mds feel this is a diagnosis applied when other diagnoses do not apply and no specific treatment is available.

In brief: Good question
Dr. Paul Reynolds
Dr. Paul Reynolds
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Unusual
As to what sort of disorder is fibromyalgia? Disorder has a curious nature, & is label given to a constellation of symptoms absent significant objective signs.
Sufferers develop symptom profiles via different etiologies. IMO unifying injury seems to be primary ligament damage causing postural deviations invoking muscle spasms and chronic widespread pain.

In brief: Unusual
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
10 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
At Quora.com, under my name, and on my Pain Syndrome board of posts, I offer 100 essays devoted to the cause and treatment of Fibromyalgia, IBS, TOS, TMJ, and Endometriosis.  At Healthtap.com, I have answered dozens of questions about these subjects, and which can be accessed. 
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Fibromyalgia, FM, sufferers commonly have: femaleness, youth, first degree female relatives with FM, obesity, oft multiple childbirths, pelvic girdle injury from MVA/falls/lifting accidents, prolonged sedentariness & weak soft tissues due to illness or injury & Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. Unifying factors: soft tissue injury in body tower with unstable joints repetitively stressed by gravity.
Dr. Vikram Patel