What sort of disorder is fibrocystic breast disease?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Common, benign
Fibrocystic breast disease is a common, benign (not cancerous) condition.
It is the most common cause of "lumps" in both breasts and can be painful. It can be due to the responsiveness of breast tissue to hormones. The size of the lumps and the associated pain often change with changes in a woman's menstrual cycle.

In brief: Common, benign
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Kevin Daus
In brief: Fibrocystic breasts
It is not a disease but refers to a commonly used phrase to describe painful, lumpy breasts.
I use fibrocystic changes because it does not sound bad. The hormones of the cycle cause the painful lumpy breast before the cycle. Help is with advil, tylenol, (acetaminophen) heat or ice to the breast and a support bra. Also decreasing caffeine, vit e and primrose oil will help.

In brief: Fibrocystic breasts
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus