My neck hurts form trying to elevate my head at night, can I take an anti-acid instead?

Dr. Jason Black

In brief: Perhaps

I assume from your question that you're elevating your head at night to try to reduce gastroesophageal reflux (gerd).
Other non-pharmacological methods include avoiding eating close to bedtime, and staying away from certain foods like chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, tomatoes, and spicy foods. As long as there are no contraindications, antacids and other types of acid blockers can also be helpful.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Jeff Livingston

Antacids like Tums are a good choice for heartburn in pregnancy.
They neutralize the acid and are good when you have the symptoms. If you have to take them often though taking a preventative medicine daily will be helpful. Omeprazole, Prevacid and Zantac (ranitidine) are good choices. These prevent heartburn before you feel the symptoms.

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Vicken Poochikian