What sort of disorder is an eye infection?

All kinds. Bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoal, etc. Can affect different layers of the eye like conjunctiva, cornea, sclera, vitreous, etc. Can be iatrogenic, endogenous, external/penetrating, etc.
Red eye. Eyes are exposed constantly to the world - they must be open to see. Organisms can enter and in the susceptible an infection can set it. It requires exposure to the infection and susceptibility such as lowered immunity, or trauma, or recent surgery. If you suspect you have an infection - eye pain, redness, discharge, vision drop, - see your ophthalmologist right away.