What sort of disease is chondrocalcinosis?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Calcium in cartilage
Chondro means cartilage and calcinosis implies calcium deposition into an atypical area.
Chondrocalcinosis is often associated with pseudogout, in which calcium pyrophosphate crystals are deposited into joints, and these may cause pain and inflammation. This is similar to gout, but gout involves urate crystals within the joint. I see chondrocalcinosis most commonly within the knee joint.

In brief: Calcium in cartilage
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. John Goldman
The daignosis is made by seeing the calcium pyrophosphate dehydrate crystals (we call them CPPD crystals) in the joint. We can also see then in X-rays and ultrasound images. In these settings we see the CPPD deposits in the cartilage, like knee cartilage that Dr Holmes describes. They can be seen in lots of joints and of interest as we age these CPPD crystals can be found more
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine