What sort of disease is a concussion?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Brain injury
Mild in that there is not typically any visible (with an MRI or ct) evidence of structural injury. The injury is at the microscopic (cell/molecular level). Seen with falls, car wrecks or in sports, they often result in headaches, memory loss, feeling "in a fog, " nausea/vomiting, dizziness & can be associated with long-term effects like depression.

In brief: Brain injury
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer. Wishing you'all the best.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: A serious one
Concussion is often due to head trauma like in falls, motor vehicle accidents or sports and needs to be evaluated.
I will share this question with experts in the many fields who see people with concussions.

In brief: A serious one
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
4 comments
Dr. Scott Gebhardt
I was the team doctor for a local high school abd my biggest concern was concussions. and at the first game i was at, some players came up to me and the trainer and said that their center "wasn't quite right." we oulled him aside and did a neuro exam (almost the same as a field sobriety exam) and his one eye rolled in a circle like on a cartoon. there are stages-Google it.
Dr. Larry Armstrong
As neurosurgeons, we treat concussions multiple times every week. They have many symptoms including headache, dizziness, blurred vision, memory loss, and others. The most significant thing to note is that each subsequent concussion is exponentially worse than the one preceeding it. It has been downplayed for years but we are only now understanding devastaing effects from multiple injuries.
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Potentially Serious
More and more is being learned about concussions.
Obvious symptoms may include fatigue, nausea, blurred vision, pain upon light exposure.And headaches. Subtle symptoms include " muddy thinking", slow reflexive response, poor school work etc.Final resolution may take months. There are validated tests and specialists for proper evaluation and they should be used.

In brief: Potentially Serious
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Christopher Conti
Emergency Medicine
In brief: SHAKEN NOT STIRRED!
To concus means 'to shake violently'; which is what happens to the brain when the head or trunk is violently impacted.
This violent event causes brain injury at the cellular level, which is why symptoms and recovery are so challenging to gauge. The key to recovery is close follow up with a provider knowledgeable in the concussion who'll monitor symptoms & neurocognitive test results.

In brief: SHAKEN NOT STIRRED!
Dr. Christopher Conti
Dr. Christopher Conti