9 doctors weighed in:

What problems can come from a chlorine bleach overdose?

9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
6 doctors agree

In brief: Death...

Overdose implies deliberate intent.
..Seek help and don't do it! irreparable life-altering esophageal damage may occur if you survive -and that can be miserable indeed.

In brief: Death...

Overdose implies deliberate intent.
..Seek help and don't do it! irreparable life-altering esophageal damage may occur if you survive -and that can be miserable indeed.
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Charles Cattano
There is NO health benefit in taking even small doses of chlorine bleach, other than to sterilize potentially tainted drinking water. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!
Dr. Andrew Gentry
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
2 doctors agree

In brief: Usually nothing

Comercial chlorine bleach does not taste very good and an overdose (high volume) takes a conscious effort consistent with intent of self harm and emergancy medical care is needed.
..911. However amounts inadvertantly swallowed during splash or from hands to mouth will not require any medical care at all.

In brief: Usually nothing

Comercial chlorine bleach does not taste very good and an overdose (high volume) takes a conscious effort consistent with intent of self harm and emergancy medical care is needed.
..911. However amounts inadvertantly swallowed during splash or from hands to mouth will not require any medical care at all.
Dr. Andrew Gentry
Dr. Andrew Gentry
Thank
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Bleach poisoning

Sodium hypochlorite is found in bleach.
Poisoning sx's may include: "burning, red eyes, chest pain, coma, coughing (from the fumes), delirium, gagging sensation, low blood pressure, pain in the mouth or throat, possible burns on the esophagus, skin irritation of exposed area, burns, or blistering shock, slow heartbeat, stomach or abdominal pain, vomiting" REF:

In brief: Bleach poisoning

Sodium hypochlorite is found in bleach.
Poisoning sx's may include: "burning, red eyes, chest pain, coma, coughing (from the fumes), delirium, gagging sensation, low blood pressure, pain in the mouth or throat, possible burns on the esophagus, skin irritation of exposed area, burns, or blistering shock, slow heartbeat, stomach or abdominal pain, vomiting" REF:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Heidi Fowler
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002488.htm A significan overdose can be fatal.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine
24 years in practice
171K people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors