What kind of condition is dilated cardiomyopathy?

Weak heart. This literally means 'weak heart muscle'. The most common cause is heart attack(s). When the heart muscle is damaged it becomes weak and the heart can dilate (become bigger). There are several other causes which can happen at any age. For example some viruses can attack the heart and weaken it and alcoholism is another known cause.
Enlarged weak heart. It is a condition in which the heart muscle, primarily the main pumping chamber (left ventricle) becomes weakened and enlarged, and it cannot pump blood efficiently. It may affect people of all ages, including infants and children often, the cause can't be determined; this is called idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Known causes include viruses, alcohol, genetics, chemotherapy.