What kind of condition is a cystic hygroma?

Pathology
In brief: Developmental
Cystic hygromas are developmental anomalies of the lymphatics.
These are generally seen in children and become large and affect nearby organs, even though the lesions themselves are benign. These are often present in the neck, back and chest.

In brief: Developmental
In brief: Malformed lymphatics
A more precise description of ch is a malformation of what should be thin walled lymph channels similar to string baloons.
Instead they form together in grapelike clusters of round baloons in collections of various sizes.More common clustered in the neck, I have seen dime sized lesions scattered over the body or a massive one wrapping like a winter coat around the trunk.Surgical removal may b rqd.

In brief: Malformed lymphatics