Should my prescribed acid reflux pills be burning my esophagus? If so, how can that cause heartburn or reflux?

Pills shouldn't burn. Acid reflux pills should not burn when swallowed. If you have severe reflux, you can have injury and inflammation of the esophagus. This would make it very painful to swallow anything (dysphagia). Most acid reflux pills act by reducing the acid from the acid producing cells of the stomach. The pills will not cause reflux. You may have other problems (like hiatal hernia) that would need diagnosis.