Can I train my bladder to stretch and hold more fluid by holding in my urine when I feel the urge to go?

Dr. Neeoo Chin
Fertility Medicine

Yes, holding your urine a little longer each time can help retrain the bladder for certain types of urinary urgency.
At times training your bladder to a specific voiding schedule is helpful also.

Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Jesse Chuang
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Yes, but not ideal

You can train yourself to hold more urine and be more resistant to having to go to the bathroom earlier, but it is not recommended since keeping a large volume of urine over time increases risk for urinary tract infection.
Also, it can cause more pressure to your whole urinary tract and back up causing high pressure in the kidneys hurting your kidney.

In brief: Yes, but not ideal

Dr. Jesse Chuang
Dr. Jesse Chuang
Dr. William Forsythe