Describe the features of a blocked tear duct.?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Tearing

A blocked tear duct is most commonly seen in children under the age of 12 months.
It typically presents with a watery eye, occasionally with some mucus. Treatment involves massaging the region overlying the duct, mechanically or surgically opening the duct, or simply observing whether it will open on its own. In older individuals, it almost always requires surgery, if the symptoms are bothersome.

In brief: Tearing

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Old Home Remedy

Dr shatz's answer is quite good.
I read once about a home remedy that is safe and occasionally seems to improve the situation. Place several drops of breast milk in the affected eye 2-3 times per day. Sometimes it helps.Sometimes not.

In brief: Old Home Remedy

Dr shatz's answer is quite good.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond