I have red bumps on my legs that hurt and my ankle hurts. What could this be?

Erythema nodosum. This could represent a condition called erythema nodosum which is a reaction to an infection or some other internal problem such as tb, sarcoma, strep infection. See a doctor for an evaluation and treatment.
Insect. Bites, allergic reaction, or other skin disorders. I suggest you see your pcp.
See a physician. There are a multitude of skin diseases and disorders and a complete physical examination with history will better guide the treatment of this.