When can I feel confident my baby is not at risk for sids?

Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: 6 months

The risk of SIDS drastically decreases between four and six months.
Now we do see deaths classified between six months and a year as SIDS, but the experts think these are truly more " accidental suffocation" deaths.

In brief: 6 months

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Risk less by 4mo

The classic definition of sids involves all unexplained deaths under a year which enables reserchers a zone to focus on.
However there is a significant fall off in the frequency by the time a child reaches 4mo for reasons that are unclear. Since babies may begin to roll over by 4-5 mo this is comforting.You do not need to strap them down for a year to be safe, just try to start them on their back.

In brief: Risk less by 4mo

In brief: After one year

After your baby turns 12 months old the risk decreases dramatically.

In brief: After one year

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson