I was recently informed that I have hpv, what should I do?

Nicole Bressler
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Regular Checkups
Hpv is a virus that has been shown to cause cervical cancer.
However, that does not mean that everyone who has hpv will get cancer. There are no medications to get rid of hpv. If you are a female, be sure to get your yearly checkups with your gynecologist. If you are a male, use condoms to help prevent the spread.

In brief: Regular Checkups
Nicole Bressler
Nicole Bressler
Answer assisted by Nicole Bressler, Medical Student
3 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
great answer.
Dr. Hung Khong
HPV is also associated with oral cancer and anal cancer. Traditional risk factors for oropharyngeal cancer are tobacco and alcohol. However, HPV positive oropharyngeal cancer is the predominant type currently.
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology
In brief: Education
I will assume you have hpv in your pap smear.
Educate yourself if it is low or high risk type. Also find out if you have "dysplasia" and if so low or high grade. Your doctocan then discuss if biopsy or follow up is right for you. Also discuss what you can do to reduce your risk of progressing to cancer (stop smoking for example).

In brief: Education
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Cindy Juster