I think I have carpal tunnel. It hurts when I write. My hands will lock up and go numb. And my wrist hurts. Plus I have fibromyalgia?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Surgery- not so fast
The characteristic symptoms of carpal tunnel is tingling into the fingers with wrist movement.
The wrist bones - carpal bone form an arch like tunnel and the medial nerve passes under that tunnel to you hands and fingers. Often the wrist is not painful so you need further evaluation. Wrist splints, injections to decrease the swelling of the median nerve can help.Surgery-not so fast.

In brief: Surgery- not so fast
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Get tested
Fibromygia symptoms can sometimes mimic carpal tunnel syndrome.
For a definitive answer, ask your physician to be referred for an 'emg/nerve conduction study'-- it will provide accurate information about nerve function and severity of the problem, and can easily distinguish carpal tunnel from fibromyalgia from other nerve problems. A clear diagnosis can direct your treatment options.

In brief: Get tested
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Be seen
Your doctor can diagnose it and give you some exercises to help, but if not improving, you will need surgery.

In brief: Be seen
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Adam Levy