How reliable is a vasectomy? My husband had one 2yrs ago, followed all post op directions, but I still insist on addl contraception.Am I overreacting?

Dr. Michael Yu
Urology

If his post-procedure semen analysis negative, then there is no need for additional contraception.
While not 100% effective (the "act of god" pregnancy can still occur), if negative then there should be no worries.

Dr. Michael Yu
Dr. Michael Yu
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Very reliable

If a vasectomy is performed correctly, there is no need for additional contraception because it is >99% effective.
He can go to his regular doctor for a semen analysis. If no viable sperm are seen on a sample, then you should not require additional contraception.

In brief: Very reliable

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student

Once the post vasectomy semen is checked and confirmed to be 0, you can feel safe.

Dr. Michael Karasis
Dr. Michael Karasis
Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder

In brief: See urologist

A vasectomy is very reliable, and the ejaculation is tested afterwards for semen.
But for your peace of mind, your husband could visit his urologist for testing.

In brief: See urologist

Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder
Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder
Dr. Jane Van Dis