I had a cat scan with contrast on abdamon. If I had lymphoma would the CT scan have picked it up in my body?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Maybe
If advanced lymphoma were present in the area of ct scan (abdomen), then yes.
However, lymphoma could be in neck, chest, etc and be undetected. Sometimes lymphoma is primarily in the bone marrow with very little observable enlarged lymph nodes.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Ed Kaplan
In brief: Possibly
Lymphoma can occur almost anywhere in the body.
It can also be small enough that no scans will pick it up. If you had swollen glands in your abdomen, which could be lymphoma, a ct would likely see those. Remember, though, that a diagnosis of lymphoma, or any cancer for that matter, can only be made with a biopsy.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Ed Kaplan
Dr. Ed Kaplan
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Usually
Most of the time with lymphoma the abnormal lymph nodes because of size can be detected by cat scan with contrast.
Lymphoma commonly occurs in chest and abdomen. Smaller lesions are now being detected by pet ct. In any event the lymph nodes have to be biopsied to confirm the diagnosis.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Steven Seres