My 24 year old m friend was diagnosed with gout after spraining his ankle from snowboarding. He was given ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to be helping?

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not typical gout

His age is very young for a diagnosis of gout.
It sounds too coincidental. Xrays would rule out fractures but sprains can get worsen as the swelling progresses. I would call and see if a sport medicine physician could see him urgently.

In brief: Not typical gout

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Gout

It seems a very odd coincidence to diagnose gout right after a snowboard accident, especially at age 24.
I would question the diagnosis. The treatment for gout, if Ibuprofen is not working, is Indocin (indomethacin) 50 mg 3 times a day, Colchicine 0.5 mg repeat every hour x 3, or cortisone (pills). In this situation i would be concerned that there may be more significant injury to the ankle than just a sprain.

In brief: Gout

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Needs

Gout medication.
Needs blood test to confirm gout.

In brief: Needs

Gout medication.
Needs blood test to confirm gout.
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Blood tests do not confirm gout. 8% of gout patients have a normal uric acid at the time of the attack. Finding the presence of urate crystals in the joint is the only way to absolutely confirm the diagnosis.
Dr. Marsha Davis