Are vibram shoes bad for running?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Not necessarily
The vibram "5 fingers" are in the category of "minimalist" shoes.
They were desinged by be extremely lightweight and to promote proper foot and lower body strength and good running mechanics. I think about 10-20% of runners will excel in these shoes. The remainder will have a hard time adjusting to them and may have increased pain. Consider going to vibram fivefingers website for education on use.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
2 comments
Dr. Ty Endean
If you have a meniscus tear I would recommend seeing an orthopedic surgeon as you may need surgery to repair or remove that torn piece. Your meniscus tear can indirectly cause foot pain due to an abnormal gait pattern.
Dr. Jose Barreto
The vibram (and minimalist shoes) will change your biomechanics while running. You should transition slowly. Check this article I wrote about the differences between minimalist running and shod running. http://otwithmd.com/whats-the-difference-between-minimalist-running-and-sho-running/
Dr. Stephen Southard
In brief: Remember
Vibrams and other minimalist footwear are probably not for everyone.
While some people's biomechanics may be adaptable to a footwear as such, there are those who have underlying issues that may in fact be exacerbated by minimalist shoes. If you are interested in this type of footwear make sure you ease yourself into them: start low mileage, low intensity and listen to your body.

In brief: Remember
Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Stephen Southard
In brief: Depends
Vibram shoes are currently being debated and there are arguments on both sides.
I do not feel they give the feet enough protection when running.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine