I injured my shoulder falling off my bike last week. Should I ice or heat and/or stretch?

Allison Greco
General Practice
In brief: It depends
Your doctor can evaluate the injury to determine what the appropriate course of action is.
Muscle strains or soreness generally respond better to heat, while ice is better for inflammation and bruising. A doctor can help you determine if there are any more serious injuries, like broken bones or tendon tears, so if you're concerned you should visit your physician. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

In brief: It depends
Allison Greco
Allison Greco
Answer assisted by Allison Greco, Medical Student
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: R.I.C.E.
In the beginning use r.I.
C.E. Rest, immobilization, cold, elevation. Later on may use hot compresses, ( or continue cold compresses if you feel better with that) use ointments for muscle pain. If you are not able to raise your arm see a dr.

In brief: R.I.C.E.
In the beginning use r.I.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine