Doc suggests a podiatrist for injury to toes on rt foot. 2d/3d toes painful spread after sports mishap. Any advantage to podiatry as opp to ortho md?

Specialist. The same principles are employed in treatment of foot and ankle conditions regardless of whether you are seen by a podiatrist or a foot and ankle orthopedist. It is important that you have a a good rapport with whomever you choose. If your pcp has suggested a particular doctor it may be because he or she has a good working relationship with that physician.
Interest. Orthopods dont have much to add for lesser toes podiatrist treats this everyday.
Either is fine. Either Dr. Is adequate for this problem. You must be comfortable with the doctor treating you.
Either is fine. Podiatry has more training per residency since they spend 3 years to treat feet where Ortho is 1 year fellowship. So tell me who knows better in foot treatment.
Have it evaluated. A podiatrist is qualified by his or her education and training to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the foot, ankle, and related structures of the leg. Podiatrists are uniquely qualified among medical professionals to treat the foot and ankle based on their education, training, and experience.
Ortho. It is wrong to say that many orthopaedists don't see foot problems. We take great pains to ensure all orthopaedic surgeons get excellent training in foot and ankle pathology. They understand the biomechanics of the entire musculoskeletal system better than any providers out there. Podiatrists have their place and this is an area of overlap, but had to correct misstatement seen in other answer.
No. This is an area of overlap where a good podiatrist may be able to help. My bias is obviously for you to see a foot and ankle trained orthopaedic surgeon.
Podiatrist v Ortho. Nowadays many orthopedic drs do not see much of foot disorders since podiatrists exist. Either an orthopode who does foot surgery or a podiatrist who does foot surgery will be adequate.