Currently on blood thinners for a deep vein thrombosis in my left leg after i had surgery on my right knee. Should i be worried?

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Possibly

It sounds as if you are receiving appropriate medication & typically that is needed for months to assure appropriate resolution of clot.
You should also get fitted for a pair of RX compression stockings & get active as quickly is possible after your surgery as mobility helps. Recommend a follow up ultrasound with a vascular surgeon & counseling on post-thrombotic syndrome. Worry about recurrence.

In brief: Possibly

But rationally! dvt is not uncommon after knee surgery and with good treatment will likely stabilize and not progress to crisis.
Careful clinical and ultrasound followup and edema control are important.

Dr. George Clark
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: DVT leg

I assume the DVT of the left leg occurred after surgery on the right knee.
This is a known complication of orthopedic surgery. Blood thinners are used to prevent further extension of the clot and allow the body to hopefully dissolve some of the existing clot. Concern will be risk of future DVT in the left leg as well as damage to the venous system from this episode.

In brief: DVT leg

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Dvt

No need to be concerned as you are currently being appropriately treated for your deep vein thrombosis.

In brief: Dvt

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine