Does holding my sneeze give me a higher risk of having spontaneous pneumothorax?

Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Pneumothorax
For normal healthy people, holding a sneeze poses no risk of causing a pneumothorax (collapsed lung).
The rare exception is an older individual who due either due to a congenital lung cyst near the lining of the lung, or who has cystic degeration due to emphysema, where the increase in pressure would cause the air fill cyst to rupture and leak out air causing a mild lung collapse.

In brief: Pneumothorax
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Eric Toloza
many healthy people, not just older people, do not know they are at risk of spontaneous pneumothoraces from blebs until they have a spontaneous pneumothorax ...
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic
Due to increased chest pressures ...

Due to increased chest pressures ...
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine